SAVANNAH, GA (WTOC) - The 2018 MLK Jr. Day Parade has wrapped up in downtown Savannah.
The parade began at 10 a.m. at Liberty and East Broad streets. From there, it traveled down East Broad to Oglethorpe Avenue, left onto Oglethorpe, right onto Price Street, left onto East Broughton, and then left onto MLK Junior Boulevard. The parade will end and disband at MLK Boulevard and West Anderson Street.
There will be several road closures and No Parking areas before, during and after the parade. The following closure information if from the Savannah-Chatham Metropolitan Police Department:
- Posting of "No Parking Zone" notices along the parade route has been completed. Vehicles remaining in the no parking zones after 12:01 a.m. on Monday, Jan. 15 will be towed at the owner's expense.
- The “Staging Area” will be closed at 6 a.m. On side streets along East Broad Street, parking will be permitted on one side of the street only. The other side will be used for parade staging. There will be no parking on East Broad Street. The area will have signs accordingly. PLEASE DO NOT PARK ON THE SIGNED SIDE OF THE STREET.
- The "Disband Area" will also have No Parking Zones in place and will be signed accordingly.
- There will be no parking along the parade route (East Broad Street, Price, Oglethorpe, Broughton Street, MLK Blvd from Broughton Street to Anderson Street.)
- The Parade Route will begin closing to traffic at about 9:45 a.m. and will reopen in stages as the parade clears. Please note: ROADS MAY CLOSE EARLIER DUE TO PUBLIC SAFETY NEEDS.
- Northbound traffic will be forced to turn east, towards Forsyth Park, at Gwinnett Street. No Traffic will be allowed west, towards I-16, at this location due to the parade.
Chatham Area Transit services will also be operating Monday on a holiday schedule.
Here's a look at what we can expect out of the weather during the parade.
And remember, if you can't make it out to the parade, you can watch it LIVE on WTOC-TV or live streaming at WTOC.com and on our news app.