Manhunt for a "Turf Boy"

Wanted: armed and dangerous. That's the word on the street for a guy who's on the run. Remember the so-called Turf Boys? The name made the news in April with a string of shootings. The youngest Turf Boy has escaped.

Tarus Green, 17, was supposed to start his aggravated assault trial yesterday, but instead, he's hiding from police after breaking out of the Savannah Regional Youth Detention Center Sunday morning around 10am.

Police say he used a portable basketball setup to scale a 14-foot razor wire fence. Investigators want people all around the area to be on the lookout.

"He has shown a propensity for violence before and he should be considered armed and dangerous," said Savannah-Chatham Metropolitan Police Department spokesman Sgt. Mike Wilson.

Wilson says police aren't sure if Green is trying to hide out in Savannah or if he's left the area entirely.

Green was one of four members of a street gang called the Turf Boys, a group police tried very hard to capture after a string of shootings in April. News that one of the Turf Boys had gotten out did not go over well with investigators Monday. "Any time someone escapes, that's naturally frustrating for everyone," said Sgt. Wilson.

Green was being held at a different youth detention center since April, but was back in Savannah temporarily for his trial. He is being tried as an adult.

Police say the Turf Boys' string of shootings started on April 6, when they shot Manny Engram at 37th Street and Paulsen. Investigators tied them to another shooting just a few hours later at Live Oak and Seiler. Less than a week later, police say the four were responsible for another shooting on Mississippi Avenue.

Near the end of April, police finally got a break when Damien Gaines and Lyeron Rice turned themselves in. The next day, police caught Tarus Green and a few hours later, Corey Milton.

All that led to this week, with Green's escape Sunday morning.

Police say if you see Tarus Green, call CrimeStoppers at 234.2020 and don't try to do anything on your own. Let the police handle it.

Reported by: Chris Cowperthwaite,