SAVANNAH, GA (WTOC) - Law enforcement is investigating an incident involving carbon monoxide on the 2200 block of North Fernwood Drive in East Savannah.
Two people were found unresponsive inside a home. Police say 91-year-old Martha Brown and her 70-year-old son John Duncan were found dead in a back room.
Savannah Police and firefighters responded to the scene within two minutes. The Savannah Fire hazmat team entered the home and found the residents. Officials say the initial carbon monoxide levels were dangerously high, and it was not safe to re-enter the home for investigation until carbon monoxide levels dropped.
Juliana Bland was the niece who found the two. She says she was checking on her uncle and grandmother. When she entered the house, she smelled smoke, didn't hear a response, and then found the two motionless in the back bedroom.
"I was talking to 911 as I was yelling for help," said Bland. "To find them there is just kind of etched in my head for life. That's just a vision, I wouldn't want that on anybody. I mean this is my uncle and my grandmama. I'm the oldest on both sides of the family so this is, like, close.....close."
At this time, detectives say no foul play is involved. The GBI will conduct autopsies to determine the official cause and manner of death.
Anyone with information on the incident should contact the SPD tip line by calling 912.525.3124. Information can also be forwarded to CrimeStoppers at 912.234.2020.