Savannah Fire responds to Garrison School kitchen fire

SAVANNAH, GA (WTOC) - Savannah Fire doused a blaze in the Esther F. Garrison Arts School kitchen Saturday morning.

Around 9:45 a.m. Savannah Fire was dispatched to the report of black smoke rising from Garrison School.  When crews arrived at 649 W. Jones St. firefighters discovered that a commercial icemaker in the school kitchen was on fire. Neither the sprinkler system nor the fire alarm was activated.

The fire was extinguished and prevented from spreading to the rest of the building. Since school is out, the building was closed and no one was inside.

The kitchen sustained extensive smoke and water damage. Smoke also damaged portions of the cafeteria.

Copyright 2018 WTOC. All rights reserved.