A Savannah family is temporarily homeless after their house went up in flames early this morning. Around 3am, flames and heavy smoke were seen pouring from the row-house at the corner of West 33rd and Burroughs Streets. A knock at the door alerted the woman, her daughter, and her 13-month-old baby to the danger.
They were able to get out safely. Firefighters believe the fire started on the porch, but they're still investigating.
The family is being helped by the Red Cross tonight. The agency wants to remind people it still needs volunteers and donations to help respond to local disasters.
"What we're hoping to get people to understand is that while they're focusing on Katrina relief, there's a lot of local disaster relief going on too, specifically single family house fires," said the Red Cross' Dan Kurtz. "We've been having a lot of those lately and the Red Cross is responding to those with the same kind of service we respond to the Katrina victims."
In the last 11 days, the Savannah chapter of the American Red Cross has helped five families whose homes have been destroyed or damaged by fire.