Scarlett Johansson pulls out of trans drama after backlash - WTOC-TV: Savannah, Beaufort, SC, News, Weather & Sports

Scarlett Johansson pulls out of trans drama after backlash

(Photo by Jordan Strauss/Invision/AP, File). FILE - In this April 23, 2018 file photo, Scarlett Johansson arrives at the world premiere of "Avengers: Infinity War" in Los Angeles. Johansson has pulled out of the film “Rub & Tug” after her plans to ... (Photo by Jordan Strauss/Invision/AP, File). FILE - In this April 23, 2018 file photo, Scarlett Johansson arrives at the world premiere of "Avengers: Infinity War" in Los Angeles. Johansson has pulled out of the film “Rub & Tug” after her plans to ...
(Pittsburgh Post-Gazette via AP). This 1979 photo shows transgender man Dante "Tex" Gill, flanked by masked Frank Cocchiara, left, and Donna Potts while leaving the Public Safety Building in Pittsburgh, Pa.  Actress Scarlett Johansson has pulled out of... (Pittsburgh Post-Gazette via AP). This 1979 photo shows transgender man Dante "Tex" Gill, flanked by masked Frank Cocchiara, left, and Donna Potts while leaving the Public Safety Building in Pittsburgh, Pa. Actress Scarlett Johansson has pulled out of...

By JAKE COYLE
AP Film Writer

NEW YORK (AP) - Scarlett Johansson on Friday withdrew from the film "Rub & Tug" after her plans to portray a transgender man prompted a backlash.

In a statement to Out.com on Friday, Johansson said she's pulling out from the project "in light of recent ethical questions raised surrounding my casting." Last week, Johansson said she would star as Pittsburgh 1970s and '80s prostitution ring leader Dante "Tex" Gill, who was born Lois Jean Gill but identified as a man.

When transgender actors and advocates questioned the casting, Johansson initially responded with a statement that criticism "can be directed to Jeffrey Tambor, Jared Leto and Felicity Huffman's reps." All are cisgender actors who won acclaim for playing transgender characters.

"Our cultural understanding of transgender people continues to advance, and I've learned a lot from the community since making my first statement about my casting and realize it was insensitive," said Johansson, who added that she had "great admiration and love for the trans community."

"While I would have loved the opportunity to bring Dante's story and transition to life, I understand why many feel he should be portrayed by a transgender person, and I am thankful that this casting debate, albeit controversial, has sparked a larger conversation about diversity and representation in film," the actress added.

Johansson previously came under fire for playing an originally Asian character in the 2017 film "Ghost in the Shell." That film's director, Rupert Sanders, was set to also helm "Rub & Tug."

It's not clear if the film, which Johansson was also producing, will go forward. A representative for Johansson didn't respond to an email Friday. A spokesman for New Regency, which was set to produce "Rub & Tug," said it's uncertain what will happen with the film.

Some critics have argued that trans roles should be played by trans actors. Last week, numerous trans actors responded to Johansson's casting as another sign of a lack of opportunity for trans actors.

"Actors who are trans never even get to audition for anything other than roles of trans characters," Jamie Clayton, a transgender actress who stars in Netflix's "Sense8." ''That's the real issue. We can't even get in the room."

Jen Richards, trans activist and creator of the web series "Her Story," praised Johansson for stepping down.

"If you're tired of hearing about it, you can't imagine how tired trans actors are of talking about it," Richards said on Twitter. "We just want to work. And with more trans and nonbinary people, of all kinds, participating, the work will be a better and richer representation of our world. This is a win."

GLAAD, formerly known as the Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation, said in a statement: "Scarlett Johansson's announcement, together with the transgender voices who spoke out about this film, are game changers for the future of transgender images in Hollywood."

Copyright 2018 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

  • NationalMore>>

  • MGM sues Vegas shooting victims in push to avoid liability

    MGM sues Vegas shooting victims in push to avoid liability

    Tuesday, July 17 2018 2:31 PM EDT2018-07-17 18:31:22 GMT
    Wednesday, July 18 2018 3:07 AM EDT2018-07-18 07:07:27 GMT
    MGM Resorts International has sued hundreds of victims of the deadliest mass shooting in modern U.S. history in a bid to avoid liability for the gunfire that rained down from its Mandalay Bay casino-resort in Las...More >>
    MGM Resorts International has sued hundreds of victims of the deadliest mass shooting in modern U.S. history in a bid to avoid liability for the gunfire that rained down from its Mandalay Bay casino-resort in Las Vegas.More >>
  • Immigrant children describe treatment in detention centers

    Immigrant children describe treatment in detention centers

    Tuesday, July 17 2018 5:02 PM EDT2018-07-17 21:02:51 GMT
    Wednesday, July 18 2018 3:06 AM EDT2018-07-18 07:06:28 GMT
    (Marie D. De Jes's/Houston Chronicle via AP, File). FILE - In this July 13, 2018, file photo, Allison, 6, and her mother Cindy Madrid share a moment during a news conference in Houston, where the mother and daughter spoke about the month and one day th...(Marie D. De Jes's/Houston Chronicle via AP, File). FILE - In this July 13, 2018, file photo, Allison, 6, and her mother Cindy Madrid share a moment during a news conference in Houston, where the mother and daughter spoke about the month and one day th...
    Immigrant children are complaining of hunger, cold and fear in a voluminous court filing about conditions in U.S. holding facilities.More >>
    Immigrant children are complaining of hunger, cold and fear in a voluminous court filing about conditions in U.S. holding facilities.More >>
  • Man suspected in California serial rapes drove for Lyft

    Man suspected in California serial rapes drove for Lyft

    Tuesday, July 17 2018 4:10 PM EDT2018-07-17 20:10:29 GMT
    Wednesday, July 18 2018 3:05 AM EDT2018-07-18 07:05:35 GMT
    Federal immigration authorities say a suspected serial rapist who is charged with posing as a Northern California ride-sharing driver to prey on his victims was living in the country illegally.More >>
    Federal immigration authorities say a suspected serial rapist who is charged with posing as a Northern California ride-sharing driver to prey on his victims was living in the country illegally.More >>
Powered by Frankly