Congo's latest Ebola outbreak taking place in a war zone - WTOC-TV: Savannah, Beaufort, SC, News, Weather & Sports

Congo's latest Ebola outbreak taking place in a war zone

By AL-HADJI KUDRA MALIRO
Associated Press

BENI, Congo (AP) - Highlighting the dangers in containing an Ebola outbreak in a war zone, suspected rebels killed seven people in northeastern Congo and sent residents fleeing, an official said.

Global health officials have warned that combating this virus outbreak is complicated by multiple armed groups in the mineral-rich region and a restless population that includes 1 million displaced people and scores of refugees leaving for nearby Uganda every week.

The insecurity means health workers might have to change a vaccination strategy that proved successful in Congo's previous Ebola outbreak, the World Health Organization's emergency preparedness chief Peter Salama said Saturday.

The "ring vaccination" approach of first vaccinating health workers, contacts of Ebola victims and their contacts might have to give way to the approach of vaccinating everyone in a certain geographic area such as a village or neighborhood. That would require a larger number of vaccine doses.

Vaccinations began Wednesday in the current outbreak, which was declared on Aug. 1 and has killed 11 people in the densely populated region. WHO has said more than 3,000 Ebola vaccine doses are available in Congo.

While Congo's previous Ebola outbreak, declared over barely a week before the current one began, set off alarm by spreading to a city of more than 1 million on the other side of the country, the current outbreak comes with the threat of armed attack.

The Friday night assault that killed seven people in Mayi-Moya, about 40 kilometers (24 miles) from Beni city, was likely carried out by rebels with the Allied Democratic Forces, the administrator of Beni territory, Donat Kibwana, told The Associated Press. The rebels have killed more than 1,500 people in and around Beni in less than two years.

The rebels sent the local population fleeing, Kibwana said. Beni residents already had been shaken by the discovery last week of 14 bodies of civilians who had been seized by suspected ADF rebels.

The latest attack occurred as the WHO director-general, Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, was visiting the area to see the response to the Ebola outbreak, which is being carried out in some cases under armed escort.

"The active conflict in the area is a barrier to control Ebola," Tedros said in a Twitter post Saturday night. "I call on all warring parties to provide secure access to all responders serving affected populations & saving lives."

United Nations peacekeepers, Congolese police and at times Congolese troops have been traveling with convoys of health workers as they fan out to contain the outbreak. Hospitals are guarded by Congolese police and military police.

"This will be a highly complex operation because it is occurring in an area that has been embroiled in armed conflict for 20 years," said Hanna Leskinen, a spokeswoman for the International Committee of the Red Cross. "People are regularly moving as waves of violence force new communities to flee. This makes tracing infected cases much harder." Health care workers may be forced to flee as well, she said.

Parts of North Kivu province, where most of the Ebola cases have been reported, have been inaccessible to aid groups because of the fighting, Leskinen said.

"It is critical that the disease is contained before it spreads to areas where there is more active fighting or it will be incredibly challenging to reach those in need (and) ensure safe vaccination campaigns," she said. That includes keeping the vaccines at the optimal temperature of minus 70 degrees Celsius (minus 158 degrees Fahrenheit), a challenge in a region with hot temperatures and unreliable power supplies.

So far, Congo's health ministry has said 48 cases of hemorrhagic fever have been reported in this outbreak, 21 of them confirmed as Ebola.

Nearly 1,000 people are being monitored. Screenings for the virus are being carried out at the heavily traveled border; officials have said travel restrictions are not necessary.

This is Congo's tenth outbreak of Ebola, which is spread via contact with bodily fluids of those infected, including the dead. There is no licensed treatment, and the virus can be fatal in up to 90 percent of cases, depending on the strain.

___

Follow Africa news at https://twitter.com/AP_Africa

Copyright 2018 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

  • NationalMore>>

  • ICE takes into custody defendant in New Mexico compound case

    ICE takes into custody defendant in New Mexico compound case

    Monday, August 13 2018 1:11 PM EDT2018-08-13 17:11:44 GMT
    Wednesday, August 15 2018 5:30 AM EDT2018-08-15 09:30:25 GMT
    (Source: KRQE/CNN)(Source: KRQE/CNN)

    A court hearing is planned on allegations that children at a remote compound in northern New Mexico may have been trained in the use of firearms in preparation for a school shooting.

    More >>

    A court hearing is planned on allegations that children at a remote compound in northern New Mexico may have been trained in the use of firearms in preparation for a school shooting.

    More >>
  • Hawaii marker to honor hundreds of WWII prisoners of war

    Hawaii marker to honor hundreds of WWII prisoners of war

    Wednesday, August 15 2018 2:20 AM EDT2018-08-15 06:20:27 GMT
    Wednesday, August 15 2018 5:30 AM EDT2018-08-15 09:30:12 GMT
    (AP Photo/Audrey McAvoy). In this Monday Aug. 13, 2018, photo, Daniel Crowley, a 96-year-old U.S. Army Air Corps veteran from World War II who was held by Japan as a prisoner of war in the Philippines and Japan, speaks during an interview in Honolulu. ...(AP Photo/Audrey McAvoy). In this Monday Aug. 13, 2018, photo, Daniel Crowley, a 96-year-old U.S. Army Air Corps veteran from World War II who was held by Japan as a prisoner of war in the Philippines and Japan, speaks during an interview in Honolulu. ...
    A 96-year-old former U.S. Army veteran who was held prisoner by Japan during World War II will help dedicate a memorial stone to other prisoners of war at a national cemetery in Honolulu.More >>
    A 96-year-old former U.S. Army veteran who was held prisoner by Japan during World War II will help dedicate a memorial stone to other prisoners of war at a national cemetery in Honolulu.More >>
  • Utah firefighter who died in California offered to help

    Utah firefighter who died in California offered to help

    Tuesday, August 14 2018 2:41 PM EDT2018-08-14 18:41:38 GMT
    Wednesday, August 15 2018 5:30 AM EDT2018-08-15 09:30:09 GMT
    (Jeffrey D. Allred/The Deseret News via AP). Draper Battalion Chiefs Bart Vawdrey and Kevin Holt listen during a press conference in Draper, Utah, on Tuesday, Aug. 14, 2018. Draper Battalion Chief Matthew Burchett died battling the largest recorded wil...(Jeffrey D. Allred/The Deseret News via AP). Draper Battalion Chiefs Bart Vawdrey and Kevin Holt listen during a press conference in Draper, Utah, on Tuesday, Aug. 14, 2018. Draper Battalion Chief Matthew Burchett died battling the largest recorded wil...
    A Utah firefighter who died battling the largest recorded blaze in California history was a 42-year-old man from a Salt Lake City suburb who leaves behind a wife and young son.More >>
    A Utah firefighter who died battling the largest recorded blaze in California history was a 42-year-old man from a Salt Lake City suburb who leaves behind a wife and young son.More >>
Powered by Frankly