Fire Damages Apartments, Closes Business - WTOC-TV: Savannah, Beaufort, SC, News, Weather & Sports

03/16/06

Fire Damages Apartments, Closes Business

Savannah firefighters are investigating a blaze downtown which forced several people out of their apartments overnight. About 1:30am Thursday, firefighters were called to the apartment house in the 400 block of West Congress Street. The building also houses B&B Billiards.

When firefighters arrived, they found smoke inside the apartment house and a sprinkler had been set off in one of the rooms. The water from the sprinkler had put out a fire on the third floor, but it took several minutes to stop the flow of water.

Damage from the smoke and water made it necessary to evacuate the tenants and the restaurant and bar had to be closed.

Firefighters also found a burned couch in an apartment on the third floor and called out a fire investigator after moving it outside.

The investigators have not yet said how that couch was set on fire, causing all the damage.

Reported by: Steven Shoob, sshoob@wtoc.com

Powered by Frankly