Family Loses Home, Pet in Midway Fire - WTOC-TV: Savannah, Beaufort, SC, News, Weather & Sports

11/27/06

Family Loses Home, Pet in Midway Fire

Midway, Georgia Midway, Georgia

Shenetra Golden walked through the home she shared with her five children. Saturday night, it caught fire after they left to go out of town. A phone call from her sister turned her around.

"When I pulled up and saw this and I could look through my house, I knew it was gone," she said. "Then when they let me come inside, it was a mess."

The relatives who discovered the fire used everything from garden hoses to pots of water to battle the blaze until firefighters arrived. The family dog inside died from the smoke.

So far, they've salvaged only a small pile of clothes from inside for the children starting with 3-year-old Mekhi, who was grateful for a pair of pants his mother found.

The fire took the few Christmas presents Shenetra had already bought. Just that morning, the family decorated their home for the holidays.

"I asked what caused it because I hadn't left an hour before and they said it was some wiring in the wall," Shenetra told us.

Right now, she draws comfort from a mother who knows all too clearly how she feels.

"My home burned down 1999, March 26," explained Velma Golden Frasier. "The same thing, same place, the very same place."

Through it all, Shenetra holds to faith in her God and her fellow man.

"I know somebody will help me and my children," she said.

If you'd like to help the family, call the American Red Cross Hinesville office at 876.3975. For clothes donations, here are the family's sizes:

Shenetra - size 14
10-year-old daughter - size 16
8-year-old daughter - size 14
7-year-old son - size 17
6-year-old son - size 7/8
3-year-old son - size 4T or 5T

Reported by: Dal Cannady, dcannady@wtoc.com

Powered by Frankly