Doctors, Paramedics Who Treated Ross Testify

Doctors showed a diagram of Ross' wound.
Doctors showed a diagram of Ross' wound.

There is no question in this trial that Jennifer Ross was shot on Christmas Eve by a group of muggers and died in the hospital a week later. Today the doctors and paramedics who treated Ross took the stand.

Paramedics arrived in Orleans Square moments after Ross was shot. They rushed her to Memorial Health. A team of surgeons took over from there.

Med Star One paramedic Roslyn Alaska , who responded to shooting on Christmas Eve, testified Ross was very "hysterical, and screaming."

Dr. Beth Terry, a trauma surgeon at Memorial Health University Medical Center, was the first surgeon to treat Jennifer Ross after she was shot.

Ross told her, "I think I'm going to die." Then Ross asked Dr. Terry, "Am I going to die?"

Dr. Terry told her they were going to take care of her. Ross told Dr. Terry she had been mugged downtown, and when she refused to give up her purse, someone shot her.

The surgeons said they kept Ross talking so they could keep her conscious and learn more about her injuries.

Dr. Terry said Ross was shot in the back; the bullet when through her abdomen and exited her stomach. The bullet badly damaged her intestines, her appendix and a main artery and vein. She lost 2 1/2 liters of blood.

The doctors showed the jury a diagram of Ross' injuries. The jagged red line in the middle shows the path the bullet took.

Doctors repaired most of her injuries and Ross was doing better. Surgeons didn't realize how badly her artery was damaged. That artery ruptured on New Year's Day and Ross bled to death.

The question for jurors to decide is: who shot and robbed Jennifer Ross? Was it Michael Thorpe, Webster Wilson and Kevin Huckabee?

Another one of their friends, Ivory Bowens, testified they did it. Bowens--a convicted criminal--said he didn't come forward to shorten his prison term, he said he wanted to tell the truth.

After the surgeons testified Chatham County's medical examiner, Dr. Jamie Downs took the stand. He's the one who performed the autopsy on Jennifer Ross. He concurred with the surgeons that her cause of death was a gunshot wound.

The last witness to take the stand was Kathleen Clark. She owns the home where Michael Thorpe, Webster Wilson and Kevin Huckabee used to come to hang out with her sons and play video games. She testified the defendants were at her home before the shooting and soon after. She testified she overheard Thorpe admit to shooting the girl.

Defense attorneys pointed out she only came forward to police when she found out there was a $37,000 reward.

Court recessed for the day at 5:15pm. The trial will resume Wednesday at 9am.