Salmonella Infected Peanut Butter Caused by Leaky Roof

ConAgra foods says moisture from a leaky roof and a faulty sprinkler in its south Georgia plant allowed salmonella bacteria to infect its finished peanut butter product.

More than 400 people in 44 states got sick after eating the peanut butter. Officials say the Sylvester plant's roof leaked during a rainstorm and a faulty sprinkler system accidentally went off twice last august.

All three times, moisture mixed with dormant salmonella bacteria. That bacteria likely came from raw peanuts and peanut dust.

ConAgra says everything has been fixed and the company plans to ensure that Peter Pan peanut butter is safe when it returns to stores in mid July.

To see our full coverage of this story, click here.