An Effingham County family is in shock after a 29-year-old man dies suddenly from bacterial meningitis.
Health officials say the man had pneumococcal meningitis. It's a strain of meningitis that is not contagious and not a threat to the community. "As of today, we have no information to indicate that they, or any close friends who had contact with him, should receive any type of routine preventive therapy," explained Dr. Diane Weems director of the Chatham County Health Department. "That doesn't mean that anyone who gets sick with signs or symptoms of a serious illness, particularly meningitis, shouldn't seek care by a health provider."
Symptoms of bacterial meningitis include fever, stiff neck, headache, rash and sensitivity to light.
Reported by: Melanie A. Ruberti, firstname.lastname@example.org