Images by WTOC staff and viewers of Imperial Sugar refinery fire and response on February 7, 2008.More >>
PORT WENTWORTH, GA (WTOC) - The latest word on the recovery efforts at the Imperial Sugar refinery is that crews have recovered a fourth body from the burned plant.
In an evening press briefing, Sgt. Mike Wilson of the Savannah-Chatham Metropolitan Police Department said the fourth body was recovered about 4pm.
He now says four people remain missing in the blast area.
Georgia 25, which had been closed to all traffic but emergency vehicles is now reopened.
Capt. Matt Stanley with Savannah Fire and Rescue announced that firefighting efforts are ongoing, but recovery work will be suspended at sundown and resume tomorrow.
He says it is a tough fire because of the amount of water firefighters are having to put on the building, which makes working the building more challenging. The water's affecting the structural integrity of the building.
Once the fire's completely out, firefighters will bring in heavy rescue teams and equipment.
About the Injured Reports are coming in from several different agencies with patient injury updates. As of 6pm, St. Joseph's Candler is reporting eight people treated and released.
The area's only trauma center, located at Memorial University Medical Center, saw the majority of patients with 30 reported to have been transported by air or ambulance immediately following the explosion.
Twenty of those with severe burns were flown to the Augusta Burn Centers and the Medical College of Georgia.
Only two remain at Memorial, one in fair condition and one serious.