From the City of Savannah:
For the first time, a nighttime shuttle will be offered to transport St. Patrick's Day festival-goers out of the downtown area following a unique agreement between the City of Savannah and Chatham Area Transit reached this week.
The shuttle will pick up passengers near the gated festival's western exit at Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard and take them to one of three locations with large concentrations of hotels.
The following is information about the night shuttle, as well as details about other St. Patrick's Day transportation options:
Night Shuttle: One-Way St. Patrick's Day Festival Transportation
Chatham Area Transit, in cooperation with the City of Savannah, will operate a nighttime shuttle that takes festival-goers out of downtown to three specific areas on Friday, March 14, and Saturday, March 15. NOTE: The shuttle does not take riders into the downtown area.
Indian Street between Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard and Fahm Street.
Routes (passengers choose one of three routes)
1. Downtown to hotels clustered near the Savannah-Hilton Head International Airport
2. Downtown to hotels clustered at the Gateway/Ga. 204 area in Southwest Savannah
3. Downtown to midtown hotels along Abercorn Street and to the Oglethorpe Mall
Hours of operation
· Friday, March 14: 8 p.m. - 2 a.m.
· Saturday, March 15: 10 p.m. - 3 a.m.
$10 per passenger
Day Shuttle: Round-Trip St. Patrick's Day Parade Transportation
The City of Savannah will operate the Round Trip St. Patrick's Day Parade Shuttle from Oglethorpe Mall to downtown on Friday, March 14.
The cost to ride the shuttle is $5 round trip per adult. Children under 41 inches are free. There is a limit of two free children per paying customer. Tickets can be purchased under the parking deck near J.C. Penny's at the Oglethorpe Mall ONLY between 7 a.m. and 1 p.m. on Friday, March 14.
Shuttles will leave the Oglethorpe Mall and stop downtown at Oglethorpe Avenue and Houston Street.
· 7:30 a.m. first trolley leaves Oglethorpe Mall
· 1 p.m. last trolley leaves Oglethorpe Mall
· 5 p.m. last trolley leaves downtown to return to Oglethorpe Mall
Wheelchair lift-equipped trolleys will be available. No alcohol or disorderly conducted allowed on board. All items (cooler, chairs, strollers, etc) must fit under your seat or on your lap.
International Trade and Convention Center Parade Parking
Parking for the St. Patrick's Day Parade will be available at the Trade and Convention Center beginning at 7 a.m. and ending at 3 p.m. on Friday, March 14. A fee of $10 will be charged, which includes parking and round-trip water ferry for vehicle occupants.
Patrons will board a free shuttle in the parking lot area and will be dropped off at the Savannah Belles Ferry landing/loading dock near the Riverfront Marriott. Patrons will board the ferries, cross the Savannah River and exit directly onto River Street.
PLEASE NOTE: The Trade Center Parking Lot will not admit vehicles after 3 p.m.; however, the shuttle will continue to run from ferry dock to parking until 5 p.m.
The Water Ferry will continue operations until midnight on Friday for the convenience of Trade Center and Westin guests.
Fixed Chatham Area Transit Downtown Routes
For $1 per trip, the public may catch any of CAT's fixed bus routes on St. Patrick's Day weekend. Most of the routes take passengers to the MLK Jr. Blvd./Broughton Street vicinity. East/southside buses alight and board passengers at Oglethorpe Avenue and Price Street. Below are some of the major routes into downtown
· 10-East Savannah and the 24-Savannah State/Wilmington Island: Wilmington Island residents can catch these buses from the Island Towne Centre area.
· 17-Silk Hope/Savannah Festival Outlet: From the Savannah Festival Factory Outlet/Hwy. 17-Hwy. 204 Super Wal-Mart area, passengers may catch this route.
· 14-Abercorn: Southside residents may catch this bus from the Savannah Mall area or from the bus stop at the rear of Savannah Mall.
· 11 Candler and 31-Skidaway/Sandfly/Oglethorpe Mall serves the Skidaway Road area.
· 27 Waters Road or 28-Waters Road: Serves the Waters Road area.
· 2-West Chatham or 3A and 3B-Augusta Avenue: Westside residents will find these buses a convenient way to get downtown.
In addition, CAT is adding extra buses on the following routes to accommodate increased demand during peak morning and afternoon hours: 10 East Savannah, 14 Abercorn, and 17 Silk Hope.
Please note that bus stops for the 14 Abercorn and 27 Waters Road routes will shift from under the Oglethorpe Mall parking deck to Hodgson Memorial from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. while the City of Savannah-operated St. Patrick's Day shuttle is in service.
On Friday, March 14, regular fixed-route CAT bus service will be on a weekday schedule. CAT offices at 900 E. Gwinnett Street will be opened from 8:30 a.m. - 5 p.m. for ticket/token/swipe card sales. CAT Central, 124 Bull Street, will be opened from 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. Telephone schedule information will be available from 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Due to the parade, buses in downtown will detour from 8:30 a.m. to approximately 5 p.m. Also, the downtown CAT Shuttle in the Historic District will NOT be in service on St. Patrick's Day.
Information is available at (912) 233-5767 or at www.catchacat.org.