Fire destroys mobile home and injures three

By Lewis Levine

LONG COUNTY, GA (WTOC) - An early morning fire Thursday destroyed a mobile home in Long County injuring a family of three.

The home located at 25 Simmons Crossing Road was fully engulfed in flames when firefighters from the Long County Fire and Rescue Department arrived shortly after 1am.

According to Insurance and Fire Commissioner John Oxendine's spokesman Glenn Allen, Nicole Deloach and her grandmother Lucy Deloach were in the mobile home at the time. Lucy Deloach sustained second and third degree burns to 17 percent of her body. Nicole Deloach received minor burns and both were flown by LifeStar to the burn center in Augusta.

Nicole Deloach was flown from the scene while her grandmother was later flown from Liberty Regional Medical Center.

13-year-old Janante Chapman, a nephew to Lucy Deloach, was also in the home at the time of the fire. Chapman suffered cuts to his arms when he broke a window to escape the blaze. He was taken to Liberty Regional Medical Center where he was treated and released.

Allen said five space heaters along with a kerosene lamp were found in various places in the home, but emphasized the cause of the fire will be listed as undetermined.

Allen said it appears the fire started in Lucy Deloach's bedroom were the kerosene heater was found.

The home, about two miles east of Ludowici, is listed as a total loss. It is not known how Nicole and Lucy Deloach got out during the fire.