COLLETON COUNTY, SC (WCSC) - The Colleton County Fire Department responded to a house fire in North Colleton that left 14 dogs dead.
On Sunday, fire crews responded to 982 Treu Street at approximately 10:40 a.m., according to Fire Chief Barry McCoy.
Firefighters had the fire under control within 15 minutes, McCoy said. The building suffered substantial damage.
Firefighters recovered 7 deceased puppies and 7 deceased adult canines from the building. The building suffered substantial damage.
The fire appears to have started from a heat lamp on the front porch which was used to keep the dogs warm, McCoy said.
None of the residents of the home were injured.
Copyright 2018 WCSC. All rights reserved.