WAYNE COUNTY, GA (WTOC) - CSX Transportation has agreed to settle in the wrongful death case involving camera assistant, Sarah Jones.
You may remember - Jones was struck and killed by a train back in 2014 while on the set of the Gregg Allman biopic ‘Midnight Rider,' in Wayne County.
Over the last five years, we’ve continued to bring you the very latest from the courtroom, including multiple lawsuits. Some have faced criminal charges.
It was announced on Wednesday that a confidential settlement with CSX Transportation has been reached in the case. This comes on the heals of an $11.2 million verdict that was reached back in 2017 following the civil trial. A jury concluded Jones' death was a direct result of negligence of multiple parties - including CSX.
During the trial, attorneys argued that CSX failed to communicate in a timely manner with the film crew about whether they had permission to be on the tracks, ultimately contributing to the film crew being on the tracks. CSX was responsible for paying $3.9 million in that case.
Richard Jones, Sarah’s father, released a statement after Wednesday’s settlement was reached.
“This has been a long journey, and we’re deeply grateful for the support we’ve received from family, friends and members of the film community. We’re relieved that the lawsuit has concluded.”
This case has gained national attention, shedding light to safety issues in the film industry. As a result, the Safety for Sarah campaign was launched to help transform the industry.
You can see some of our past coverage of the case below:
- 2014: New details surface on fatal train case with film crew
- 2914: Funeral services for woman killed in train incident to be held in Columbia
- 2014: Filmmakers push for Sarah Jones remembrance at Academy Awards
- 2014: Savannah film community gathers to honor Sarah Jones
- 2014: ‘Midnight Rider’ production company cited for Sarah Jones death
- 2017: Trial set to begin Monday in deadly 2014 train collision with film crew case
- 2017: Jury selected for civil trial after deadly 2014 train collision involving film crew
- 2017: Jury decides in favor of Sarah Jones' family in civil trial against CSX
- 2017: Family of Sarah Jones speaks after conclusion of civil trial
- 2017: CSX Transportation requesting new trial in the death of Sarah Jones
- 2018: Judge denies CSX motion for new trial in Sarah Jones case
- 2018: Sarah Jones wrongful death trial set to begin Monday in Savannah