SAVANNAH, GA (WTOC) - Savannah Police Department Sergeant Kelvin Ansari was laid to rest on Saturday.
Sgt. Ansari was killed in an officer-involved shooting on Saturday, May 11 on Bull Street in Savannah.
Before joining the Savannah Police Department in 2008, Sgt. Ansari served in the Army for 21 years. Sgt. Ansari leaves behind a wife and six children.
The funeral service was held Saturday at Calvary Baptist Temple. Hundreds of people and multiple law enforcement agencies from across the country attended the service.
You can watch the funeral service from Calvary Baptist Temple below:
There was an overwhelming showing of support for Sgt. Kelvin Ansari and his family during his funeral service at Calvary Baptist Temple on Saturday.
Hundreds of law enforcement officers, friends, family and community members seated through the solemn ceremony honoring the life of hero.
“We are grieving over the unexpected and tragic loss of our brother, Kelvin Ansari," said Savannh Police Chaplain Bill Gardner. "Who, by his own words, thought it was his calling to serve other people...his life was one of exemplary service.”
“We lost a hero," said Mayor Eddie DeLoach. "A man who worke up every day, put his badge on and placed the citizens of Savannah before himself.”
“Sgt. Ansari led by example," said Lieutenant Greg Mitchell. "He directed the men and women under his sueprvision with wisdom, with patience, with kindness and he was exemplary in his work ethic. He made us proud.”
“Sgt. Ansari, thanks for fighting the good fight," said Chief Roy Minter with Savannah Police. "Finishing the race and keeping the faith. Rest in peace, sarge.”
After the service, a motorcade departed to Bonaventure Road. Sgt. Ansari will be buried in Greenwich Cemetery.
- Sons of fallen Savannah police officer mourning the loss of their father
- Tunnel to Towers foundation announces plan to pay mortgage for Sgt. Ansari’s family
- Community groups looking to support family of fallen SPD officer
- Law enforcement, students in Pooler paying tribute to fallen Savannah police officer
- Law enforcement from around the nation in town to pay respects to fallen Savannah police officer
- Supporters pay respects along fallen officer’s funeral procession route