HILTON HEAD, S.C. (WTOC) - The bomb team with the Beaufort County Sheriff’s Office has determined that a suspicious package found at the Hilton Head Island Post Office is not dangerous. Traffic in the area has returned to normal.
Detective say it all started around 11:45 a.m. when a man came into the post office with a package that had been delivered to his home. He said it was suspicious, left it, and walked out of the store. The post office immediately went into security lock down, evacuating the building and bringing in the sheriff’s office bomb squad. Some customers say they were blindsided.
“The next thing I know, they’re telling us to walk out the building across the street because there’s a lock down, a potential threat, so well, that’s what we all did,” Xavier Rosa said.
People who parked behind the post office had to wait it out, hoping for the best.
“I’m keeping it cool on front of my family, but really, this is a situation that could scare anybody.”
After the bomb squad took x-rays of the package, they found there was nothing dangerous inside, and cleared the situation. While the investigation was underway, the post office was still accepting packages while shut down.
WTOC spoke to deputies about what you should do if you think a suspicious package has been delivered to your home. They say the smartest thing is to alert law enforcement and let them come to you, rather than bringing any possible threat to a public place like a post office.
Once deputies and officers gave the all-clear, the post office was back to normal operations in less than 10 minutes.
The Beaufort County Sheriff’s Office said in a tweet on Monday that they are responding to reports of a suspicious package at the Hilton Head Island Post Office.
Please avoid the area until the bomb team is able to determine the contents of the package.
Stay with WTOC as we work to bring updates to this story.