One person burned in house fire on Laurel Street in Beaufort Co.

One person burned in house fire on Laurel Street in Beaufort Co.

BEAUFORT COUNTY, S.C. (WTOC) - One person was burned Wednesday afternoon in a house fire on Laurel Street.

The Burton Fire District says a victim was transported to the hospital with burns.

The victim’s father says she was cooking when grease started the fire. Luckily, a 10-year-old girl in the home was able to get her sister and cousin out of the house before they were injured.

“When I saw smoke coming towards my room, I was like, ‘There’s a fire!’ I ran straight to the kitchen to see what was happening, and I tried to grab everybody to get them out of the house to make sure they’re safe," said Briasya Dauphine.

Firefighters were able to put the fire out, but the victim’s father says the damage inside is pretty bad in-and-around the kitchen.

The fire resulted in the family of seven being displaced. Red Cross was notified and is assisting the family.

Shureka Brodus, a member of the family, posted to the Burton Fire District Facebook page that her “family lost pretty much everything from memories to kid’s uniforms,” and is in need of assistance. The children attend the local Shanklin Elementary School.

Anyone wishing to help this family can contact the Burton Fire District at (843) 255-8011, or email safetyed@burtonfd.org.

Copyright 2019 WTOC. All rights reserved.