One person injured, one family displaced after a Burton house fire

One person injured, one family displaced after a Burton house fire
Burton firefighters were called to a house fire on Garret Smalls Road. (Source: unsplash.com)

BURTON, SC. (WTOC) - The Burton Fire Department is warning people to be cautious after a Lowcountry family lost their home on Sunday morning after it caught fire. They say it was caused by leaving food unattended.

Burton firefighters were called to the fire on Garret Smalls Road around 3:30 a.m. Sunday.

Despite the efforts from the Burton Fire Department and an assisting agency, the home was heavily damaged. A family with four children were currently living in the home. The American Red Cross is now assiting them.

“Both of those cooking fires could be attributed to unattended cooking and we do believe the fire that was started this morning-the homeowner had come off work at the night shift and started making some food on the stove and fell asleep,” said Captain Daniel Byrne.

Byrne says cooking fires are the number one cause of fires in South Carolina

“It just takes that one time where the fire ignites and everything the fire needs to grow and grow quickly is there on the stove so the easy answer is a watched pot never burns. You should never leave cooking unattended.”

The Burton fire department says if you want to reach out to the family and help them out after losing everything in this fire-you can reach out to the American Red Cross in the area or the Burton Fire Department

Copyright 2019 WTOC. All rights reserved.