SAVANNAH, Ga. (WTOC) - A Savannah family of five has lost their home and three pets in a fire.
Savannah Fire Rescue crews responded to the 2000 block of Speir Street just after 1 a.m. Friday morning. The fire caused extensive damage to the two-story home.
Savannah Fire says the five residents were able to escape unharmed after their dog, Sammy, alerted them to the blaze. Sadly, one of the family’s pet dogs and two pet cats did not make it out.
An apartment at the back of the house was also burned.
Fire investigators say they believe the fire was sparked by a deep freezer at the rear of the home.