SAVANNAH, Ga. (WTOC) - Savannah Mayor Van Johnson raising concerns about an event scheduled for in a few weeks at the Savannah Convention Center.
WTOC has gotten word from the event organizers clarifying their advertising the event as “no-mask-required.”
Mayor Johnson didn’t mince words when asked about the upcoming event across the River on Hutchinson Island that was initially advertised as not requiring masks.
“Bothered the hell out of me, that people would invite people and say ‘no masks required,‘” said Mayor Johnson.
He continued, “We don’t mind people coming here, congregating, doing what they have to do, but they have to do it in a safe way.”
A week later, a post on the Instagram page for the event organizer did not have the same ‘no mask required’ message.
Mayor Johnson did acknowledge that the Savannah Convention Center is a state-run facility, but said he’d contact the Convention Center managers and state to raise issue.
We have heard from Wings of Strength LLC, who provided some clarity to the ‘no masks required’ post. A spokeswoman for the organizers told the Mayor in an email that the verbiage was letting competitors know they would not have to wear a mask on stage.
The spokeswoman also said “As an organization, we understand and respect all health and safety regulations and boundaries regarding the concerns that surround COVID-19.
It is our mission to ensure that all of our events maintain a level of cleanliness, social-distancing, and utmost care and preparation that keeps the health and safety of all event attendees in mind.
I want to make it abundantly clear that we plan on not only abiding by all health and safety requirements established by local authorities, but plan to exceed all requirements throughout the event.”
Wings of Strength also said all attendees will be required to wear a mask, given one if they don’t have one and have their temperature checked at the door.
Here’s a list of other rules for the event:
· Upon entering the event, all attendees will be required to wear a mask and have their temperature checked with our touchless infrared thermometers. According to the CDC order, anyone with temperature checks of 100.4 degrees or more will not be permitted into the venue.
· Our entire team will undergo the same checks, and will be required to wear masks and gloves.
· Each station (table / register) will be disinfected between each individual use.
· Each station (table / register) will have a 40″ shield divider between the staff member and attendee.
· All competitors will be required to wear a mask backstage. They can remove their mask prior to getting on stage and place it in a one-time-use bowl that will be provided by a staff member. After they get off stage, they will retrieve their mask, and the staff member will dispose of that bowl and conduct the same process with each competitor.
· Our team is conducting a “rolling registration,” which reduces the number of competitors registering at one time during check-ins.
· Our team will disinfect seats throughout the event using commercial-grade equipment and solution.
· Attendee seats will be socially distanced, only allowing for chairs in groups of 3-4 seated together, and will be socially distanced from other seats.
· Our team is currently working on the technical configuration in live-streaming the event, to keep those at home in mind and encourage them to tune-in online.
· Rope and stanchions will be placed throughout the venue space, during registration, ticket sales and during the show.
· We will have local authorities on the premises at all times to enforce all state requirements.
· Floor labels/clings will be present throughout the entire event space to encourage social distancing.
· Hand sanitizing stations will be placed throughout the venue.
· Signs will be placed throughout the property that will encourage attendees to socially distance, wash their hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, and avoid touching their eyes/nose/mouth with unwashed hands.