Firefighters investigating electrical fire at assisted living facility

Firefighters investigating electrical fire at assisted living facility

SAVANNAH, Ga. (WTOC) - Residents of an assisted living center in Statesboro got a scare Wednesday night as a fire damaged some parts of their campus.

The fire started a little after 5 p.m. Managers say quick action by the staff and quick response from the fire department and others kept a bad situation from getting worse.

The nurses and staff first got residents out of the areas where they could see and smell smoke.

“Sprinklers came on, so you’ve got a lot of damage in the middle area, the dining room and the main office area,” Executive Director Chandler Denard said.

He says some areas saw no damage - such as the wing for memory care patients. The damage could be seen mainly from the roofline and upstairs windows.

“Looking at it, it would appear to be electrical...that’s just my guess,” Denard said.

He says fire crews isolated the fire and put it out while they kept it from spreading. He’s thankful for the groups that came out and helps them move many of the elderly residents across town to a warm church where families could check on them.

“I can’t say enough about First Baptist Church. They had vans here. The fire department was here and on the spot. They truly saved this building.”

He says 17 of the 38 residents will stay with loved ones while eight others will stay at the parent company’s other center in Richmond Hill.

With no damage to resident rooms, they hope to have those folks back here in a few days. They hope to have the repairs and renovation done in a month or two.

Copyright 2020 WTOC. All rights reserved.