PEMBROKE, Ga. (WTOC) - The city Christmas Tree in downtown Pembroke caught on fire Tuesday night.
A police officer spotted the fire and firefighters were able to put it out before it spread.
Right now, officials with the Downtown Development Authority believe the skirting around the tree caught fire from the lights.
City leaders say it was only up for four days before it caught fire Tuesday night.
Fire Chief Peter Waters says this a reminder for everyone to make sure they’re keeping an eye on any holiday lights especially when it comes to decorations around the house.
They are using this as a reminder for residents to check their own Christmas lights and trees. They say to make sure there are no open sockets on your string lights and don’t overload outlets.
They also say to keep loose fabrics away from your tree, and if you have a live tree, be sure to give it plenty of water.
“I really didn’t know what to think when they called us for it. When we got up here, you could tell where the skirting had been ignited by the lights, so I mean a try skirt on hot lights is what I would say caused it. It’s hard to talk about, they just lit the tree Saturday and now it’s gone,” said Fire Chief Peter Waters.
Waters wants to remind people that if you have a real Christmas make sure to keep water in it so that it doesn’t die.
He also says to make sure to unplug any lights while you’re sleeping or if you’re not home.
Right now the mayor and council are discussing whether to replace the tree.