Advertisement

5 people displaced after fire on Cowan Ave.

Published: May. 9, 2022 at 7:31 AM EDT|Updated: May. 9, 2022 at 12:05 PM EDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

SAVANNAH, Ga. (WTOC) - Crews were called the scene of a house fire in the 1900 block of Cowan Avenue.

Chatham Emergency Services responded to the scene. They say the fire started around 6:40 a.m. on Monday. One of the people living in the home called, according to Chatham EMS.

Crews were on scene four minutes later and the house was already fully involved.

All five people living inside were able to evacuate safely. The house is a total loss.

Chatham EMS says they will be on scene for several hours. They are waiting for Georgia Power to shut off power so it’s safe for them to finish up.

They say it’s tough to control because of five different bedrooms inside the home, this as the roof collapsed and continues to spread to other bedrooms.

“Any time that you have more small rooms, it’s more for the guys to get in there and search. It does get a little more complicated,” said Chris Mills, Chatham Fire District Chief. “The guys did a great job. Once we got there, we put water on it from the exterior, knocked down a lot of the larger fire that was coming from the roof, then made entry to do the inside work of it.”

The American Red Cross is helping the five residents who were displaced.

Copyright 2022 WTOC. All rights reserved.