Early voting for Georgia Senate Runoff begins Saturday in Chatham Co.
CHATHAM COUNTY, Ga. (WTOC) - Early voting for the Georgia U.S. Senate Runoff Election begins Saturday in Chatham County.
Friday morning, Gabriel Sterling with the Georgia Secretary of State’s office listed 28 counties in the state that will have early voting this weekend.
Chatham County is the only one in our area listed.
“As many folks that can get in is the best thing.”
Voting on Saturday in the runoff election was originally banned because the 26th fell on a state holiday that used to honor Robert E. Lee. A week ago, a judge ruled that Saturday voting would be allowed.
Chatham County Saturday voting will go until 5 p.m.
That court ruling allowing Saturday voting is something Chatham County voter Judy Wilson is happy about.
“Because so many people can’t get there during the week and when we have many and more opportunities to vote, it’s a wonderful thing. Democracy really matter and we have to safe guard that,” said Wilson.
And Jim Howell agrees.
“I think the more opportunity that we have to vote the better.”
But Howell doesn’t even have to vote early in person because...
“I have actually already voted by absentee ballot, so I’m ahead of the game.”
On Sunday, you’ll have two polling locations to choose from. This civic center and the voter registration main office.
If you plan to vote by absentee ballot, don’t forget you have to apply by Monday.
Also on Monday, that’s when you can start voting at any of the five locations.
Polling locations will be open through Friday.
These are the same locations offered during the general election.
Important to note, the main office is the only location that is open until 7 p.m.
If you don’t have a ride to go vote, no need to worry. The New Georgia Project and A. Phillip Randolph Institute are teaming up to offer free rides to the polls from Saturday until election day on December 6th.
“Don’t let nothing stop you. We’ve got the rides. So you can’t say you can’t get there. We’ve got the rides so all you got to do is show up and call us and we’ll get you there,” said Jerome Irwin Sr., the President of A. Phillip Randolph Institute.
A full list of early voting locations are listed below:
- Saturday, Nov. 26:
- Main Office at 1117 Eisenhower Dr., Suite E from 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
- Sunday, Nov. 27:
- Main Office at 1117 Eisenhower Dr., Suite E from 8:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m.
- Savannah Civic Center at 301 W Oglethorpe Ave from 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
- Monday, Nov. 28 - Friday, Dec. 2:
- Main Office 1117 Eisenhower Dr., Suite E from 8:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m.
- Mosquito Control 65 Billy B Hair Dr. from 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
- Civic Center 301 W Oglethorpe Ave from 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
- Islands Library 50 Johnny Mercer Blvd from 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
- Southwest Library 14097 Abercorn St from 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
- Precinct changes for Dec. 6:
- Precincts 1-16 Ferguson Ave Baptist Church will vote at the Montgomery Athletic Association at 10155 Ferguson Avenue
- Precincts 8-13 Savannah Christian School will vote at 803 Silk Hope Baptist Church at 4929 Pineland Drive
Copyright 2022 WTOC. All rights reserved.