Family files $40 million lawsuit in crash that killed UGA player, staffer
Devin Willock’s father filed the lawsuit against UGA, its staffers, Jalen Carter, an Athens strip club and others
ATLANTA, Ga. (Atlanta News First) - According to legal documents Dave Willock, father of Devin Willock, has filed a lawsuit in the crash that killed Devin and UGA staffer Chandler LeCroy.
The lawsuit names the University of Georgia Athletic Association, multiple employees as well as LeCroy’s estate, Toppers International, Jalen Carter, and multiple liability companies.
The family claims there was a lack of oversight by football team officials and employees.
The lawsuit sights that UGA had “negligent entrustment of a vehicle to Chandler LeCroy and the negligent hiring, supervision, training, and retention of Chanlder LeCroy and other agents and employees of the association....”
Willock’s attorneys claim prospective football recruits were at the Athens strip club on the night of the crash and that LeCroy was served alcohol at UGA events while assigned to drive recruits and families around.
University of Georgia Athletic Association has released a statement in response to the lawsuit saying in part:
LeCroy’s blood alcohol level was twice the legal limit as she was traveling 104 miles per hour just before the crash, according to police records.
Willock’s family is asking for $40 million and attorney fees.
Atlanta News First is reaching out to the family as well as everyone named in the lawsuit for a response to this lawsuit.
Before the lawsuit was filed, the school was notified with the intent to sue and responded saying the family did not provide evidence to back up the statements.
ANF+: Attorney breaks down legal implications of lawsuit against UGA
MORE COVERAGE FROM ATLANTA NEWS FIRST
- UGA fan met player Devin Willock one day before his death
- Kirby Smart defends UGA football program after car crash, arrests
- Former UGA star Jalen Carter pleads no contest related to deadly crash
- UGA football staffer drunk, driving 104 mph before deadly crash, police say
- 911 calls appear to place former UGA defensive lineman at scene of deadly crash
- UGA’s football success marred by off-the-field issues
- What are the charges facing Jalen Carter?
- Family of UGA player killed in crash holds private celebration of life service
- Funeral services held for UGA staffer Chandler LeCroy in her hometown
- UGA Athletic Department reviews crash that killed UGA player, staffer
- Community devastated after UGA player, staffer killed in crash
- UGA player, staffer among two dead after car crash in Athens-Clarke County
Don’t forget to download our Atlanta News First app for the most up-to-date information.
Copyright 2023 WANF. All rights reserved.