Neighbors wonder what caused house explosion
SAVANNAH, GA (WTOC) - Right now, the buzz on Wilmington Island is what caused a woman's home to explode?
Neighbors described seeing a ball of fire shoot out from a house Friday night on Leaning Oaks Drive. The explosion set nearby trees on fire and windows and shutters were blown into the yard.
The woman who lived there crawled to her garage and neighbors were able to get out her out.
Several neighbors told WTOC on Saturday the woman had a gas stove and they could smell gas in the area all day Friday prior to the explosion.
Officials say the woman was severely burned on about 40 to 60 percent of her body. She's currently being treated at the Augusta burn center.
Neighbors say are still in shock. Many folks were driving by the home just to see how extensive the damage was. We spoke to some nearby residents who say they are so thankful the Southside Fire Department was able to respond so quickly and get this massive fire contained.
"The trees were on fire and it was just a huge mess but they had it under control within about 20 minutes," said neighbor Lauren Burke. "You just watched as they were running up as fast as they could and doing everything that they could."
The fire marshal has been out there all day. They still have not determined if it was in fact gas that caused the fire. We will continue to keep you updated.
Copyright 2014 WTOC. All rights reserved.