Army soldier found dead in Fenwick Village apartment after SWAT incident

Published: Apr. 29, 2015 at 4:51 PM EDT|Updated: May. 29, 2015 at 4:51 PM EDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

SAVANNAH, GA (WTOC) - According to Julian Miller, spokesman for the SCMPD, police and SWAT responded to a barricaded gunman inside of Fenwick Village Wednesday afternoon.

The threat is now over after SWAT made entry into the residence and found the active duty Army member dead after the man threatened suicide.

Neither police nor SWAT fired their weapons, and the man, described by police in his early-30s, was alone in the residence at the time of the entry. The Army is withholding the man's name until the Army can contact other family members.

Residents are now allowed back into their homes and town houses and children are just now being bused home

Fenwick Village is located at Ogeechee and Berwick Boulevard.

Police received a call around 11:30 a.m. about a man barricaded in his home with weapons. Multiple units responded to the situation including SWAT, hostage negotiators, fire and more.

The complex was locked down for several hours as police and SWAT tried to make contact with the man. Residents were prevented from entering the complex, but they were allowed to exit the complex. Authorities advised residents in the complex to stay indoors.

"When I drove up, I was trying to go in," said Bernie Warren. "They had it barricaded and they said I couldn't enter. I told them I lived there and they said 'well, we have a situation in which you cannot enter.' So I simply had to park here and wait it out. "

"We're keeping them out of the complex for a reason," said Miller. "For their own safety. If you're inside the complex, it would be best to stay inside your townhouse. We're handling this as a situation that could get out of hand, and we're taking all the precautions to make sure everyone is safe."

Authorities also said they don't know of any hostages.

"I said 'What's going on?' He said 'Ma'am, it's a lockdown and a man has a rifle' so that was telling me to get back you know," said resident Sharon Nichols. "They are talking to him. You hear "We know this is sad. We know this is bad.'"

The students who lived in Fenwick Village or Glenwood Grove were not bused home. Rather the district kept them at the school while the threat was still there.

"I actually think that they handled it really well," said parent Monica Lopez. "Because that was my main concern, where would my kids be going, what would be happening with my kids getting off the bus in that situation."

Police said around 4 p.m. SWAT made entry into the man's apartment, but the man was already dead.

"It was nice how they handled it and the kids were safe and didn't know what was going on."

Parents were able to pick their kids up from school, but the buses were not allowed to be dismissed until the threat was over.

Violent Crimes detectives, forensics officers and Army CID investigators are working collectively on the investigation along with the coroner's office. Chaplains from SCMPD and the Army were on scene.

Copyright 2015 WTOC. All rights reserved.